"I have found it rewarding to pass on the knowledge I have gained through my experiences in helping new entrants in the financial markets industry negotiate the minefield of the early years of their careers."
Sharing Knowledge and Experience to Move Careers Forward.Applications open September 10th, 2019
Sharing Knowledge to Move Careers Forward
WCM’s Mentor Program has provided more than 750 female capital market professionals with access to formal mentor relationships.
This program pairs female protégées with mentors from outside of their firm for a 12-month period. With their mentor’s support and guidance, protégées establish career goals, discuss strategies to overcome challenges, benefit from the mentor’s knowledge and experience and extend their network outside of their own firm. For mentors, the program is equally rewarding as it is an opportunity to coach, motivate, empower and give back to the community by helping shape future female leaders.
The program also includes formal skill-build sessions with executive coaches to help mentors and protégées optimize the relationship and bring new skills back to their organizations.
To support Mentors and Protégées throughout the year the program incorporates formal Executive Coaching, as outlined below.
Executive Coaching: WCM has partnered with Felix Coaching to expand our suite of resources available to Protégées and Mentors. A structured framework designed in partnership with Felix keeps participants focused on goals. Monthly coaching emails with useful tools and tips for professional development are also provided.
Protégée Skills Series: Protégées will complete the Facet5 personality analysis and receive guidance from Felix aimed at helping Protégées to make the most of this invaluable mentorship opportunity.
Mentor Skills Series: To show our appreciation for the contribution and time Mentors give, they are invited to attend a Mentors' Skill-Building lunch series which will cover coaching tools that can be used to guide Protégées, as well as employees and direct reports
AdvanceAbility: As part of the WCM Mentorship Program, there is also an opportunity to opt-in as an AdvanceAbility Protégée during the application period. AdvanceAbility is supplemental to the core mentorship program and provides additional resources for women working in the capital markets that identify as having a visible or non-visible disability. If you would like to learn more, please email [email protected] to be connected with one of our AdvanceAbility volunteers.
Criteria for Protégée
- Protégées can be at various levels of seniority, typically we look for candidates with between three and 15 years of experience;
- Currently employed full time in capital markets;
- Currently a full member of WCM;
- Attendance at a mandatory Information Session (see dates below);
- Clear understanding of career goals and the reasons for seeking a mentor relationship;
- Full commitment to managing the mentorship relationship including ownership and setup of monthly meetings. Protégées should commit to being available for monthly (one hour) face-to-face meetings.
Protégée Application Process
Protégée Info Sessions will be held via conference call on the following dates:
- Monday, September 10th, 2018 from 12:00 - 12:30 pm;
- Wednesday, September 12th, 2018 from 12:00 - 12:30 pm;
- Friday, September 14th, 2018 from 12:00 - 12:30 pm;
Attendance at one of the sessions is mandatory. A copy of the 2018 Protégée Application will be provided only to those who attend one of the mandatory Protégée Info Sessions.
Protégée Applications Are Now Closed.
Criteria for Mentors
Mentors can be at various levels of seniority, typically we look for candidates with between 5 and 25 years of experience;
Commitment to being available for monthly (one hour) face-to-face meetings. We realize that face-to-face monthly meetings are not always possible, and where necessary, conference calls may be substituted.
Mentor Applications Are Now Closed.
DID YOU KNOW? THE BENEFITS OF MENTORSHIP
- 75% of of private sector executives say mentoring has been critical in their own career development
- 71% of Fortune 500 companies offer mentorship programs;
- 77% of companies with mentoring programs say they improve employee retention and job performance;
- 79% of millenials believe mentorship programs are crucial to their career success.
Mentors help protégées maximize their potential by giving them advice, sharing their professional insights and years of experience and providing a sounding board to help protégées learn and grow, feel supported and championed.
WHY BE A PROTÉGÉE?
Potégée's receive valuable career advice from mentors outside of their firm, with the goal of advancing their careers and establishing career goals, growing their networks, and discussing career challenges.
“My mentor not only shared her industry insights, but also gave me advice when I tried to make a career move. The guidance is essential to someone new to the industry.”