Heather L. Main Memorial Scholarship
Combine Your Education with the Power of Experience
The Heather L. Main Memorial Scholarship is a comprehensive $25K scholarship, capital markets summer internship, bespoke coaching and WCM membership program for female graduate students. It honours the memory of a trail-blazing woman in Canadian capital markets. Since being established in 1998, it has positioned nearly a hundred highly qualified women to excel in the Canadian capital markets, while broadening the talent pool for the industry. Benefits of the program include: building practical skills and gaining valuable capital markets experience, networking with industry leaders, financial assistance towards the MBA tuition, and customized leadership training and/or executive coaching.
THE HEATHER L. MAIN SCHOLARSHIP CURRENTLY OFFERS:
- $25,000 cash award
- Paid summer internship at a leading investment dealer
- Leadership training and/or executive coaching
- One-year mentorship program
- One-year WCM student membership
The scholarship is currently available to full-time 2-year MBA or joint MBA/LL.B female students at the following business schools:
- DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University
- Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University
- Schulich School of Business, York University
- Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto
- Bank of Montreal $250,000
- CIBC World Markets $250,000
- Merrill Lynch Canada Inc. (BAML) $250,000
- RBC Dominion Securities / RBC Financial Group Foundation $250,000
- The Scotiabank Group of Companies $250,000
- TD Bank Financial Group $250,000
- Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP $50,000
- Female students enrolled in a first-year full-time MBA program or a third-year full-time joint MBA/LLB program at a participating university
- Demonstrated interest in the capital markets, academic excellence, community involvement and leadership capabilities
- Paid summer internships to be served immediately before the final year of MBA or MBA/LLB studies; the applicant must be available for the full four months (i.e., May-August) to complete her summer internship
Applications are to be submitted to eligible universities in the Fall.
Please contact the recruitment office at the participating business schools for more information.
About Heather L. Main
Heather L. Main was one of few women in finance on Bay Street in the 1980's. After obtaining a law degree from Osgoode Hall Law School and being called to the Bar in Ontario, Heather entered the corporate finance department at one of Bay Street's premier investment banks. She helped lead a wave of innovative financings in the mid '80s and also served in the corporate finance branch of the Ontario Securities Commission.
In May 1989, Heather was killed in a car accident with her husband and mother. She is remembered for her brilliance, generosity, and dedication to provide support to those around her. Heather served as a role model and mentor to many women who worked with her.