Massey Henry is pleased to support the Vice President, Asset Based Lending recruitment on behalf of Peoples Group. Peoples Group has provided tailored financial services to the Canadian marketplace for more than 35 years. Peoples Group financial services are offered through a selection of partners and channels, including Peoples Bank and Peoples Trust.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Distribution, the Vice President, Asset Based Lending (VP) is a dynamic and entrepreneurial leader with significant business development and credit exposure in providing corporate and specialized lending solutions, particularly in the asset-backed lending space. With broad credit experience, including with syndications and receivables financing, the VP is a results-focused executive, able to foster new business development opportunities while nurturing existing client relationships.
The VP is a decisive leader, executing thoughtfully to achieve operational and strategic goals aligned with broader organizational objectives. A people-oriented executive, the VP prioritizes team development, coaching, and mentorship within a growth-minded and inclusive team environment. As well, the VP is a strong communicator across all levels of the organization, working closely with key strategic partners that include the Credit Committee and the Chief Credit Officer to achieve strategic objectives.
- Monitor financial and operational covenants of loan portfolios
- Leverage deep understanding of credit and lending concepts and risk management in the best interests of Peoples Group’s strategic objectives
- Leverage key elements of financial statements and cashflows across complex medium to large sized corporate borrowers
- Identify and build long term new client relationships, while managing and fostering existing relationships
- Foster collaborative relationships across a range of internal stakeholders / departments
- Develop, implement, and maintain a strategic plan to advance growth of a Corporate Finance and ABL book
- Conduct fundamental analysis of private enterprises as part of new transactions being presented to the Peoples Group Investment/Credit Committee, both for existing and prospective borrowers
- Actively seek out and share information regarding market changes and competitive activity that is utilized to develop key market strategies
- Coach and mentor direct reports to assist in their development and to further promote and foster Peoples Group culture and team-oriented environment
Required Skill / Experience
The ideal candidate brings progressive executive experience in commercial lending, banking, accounting, receivables financing, syndication, financial advisory, or consulting, with an emphasis on ABL lending, as well as in underwriting and structuring corporate and Asset Based Lending (ABL) credit.
With experience in both origination and credit risk management, the Vice President, Asset Based Lending (VP) brings in-depth business development experience and a proven track record of building and fostering relationships while overseeing a growth-oriented team and portfolio. Recognized as a strong people leader, the VP is able to develop effective relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including the Chief Credit Officer and C-suite, while ensuring accountability regarding sales and portfolio targets in alignment with organizational objectives.
The successful candidate will have the following competencies:
- Minimum 5 -10 years of prior executive experience in commercial lending / banking, accounting / financial advisory or consulting with an emphasis on ABL type lending / industries, and with experience in syndications and receivables financing
- Minimum 5 -10 years’ executive experience in underwriting and structuring Corporate and ABL credit; syndication experience an asset
- Leadership oriented with strong people management ability; able to foster an inclusive culture while supporting the development and mentorship of a growing team
- Ability to build meaningful and trusting relationships both internally and externally, including with key strategic partners that include the Chief Credit Officer, Credit Committee, and C-suite
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Results-driven and possess strong organizational skills with a high attention to detail