We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions, so you are empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and are truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What You’ll Be Doing
Under the supervision of the Vice-President, Asset Allocation and Currency Management, the incumbent contributes to developing the economic and financial market research infrastructure and managing the research process underlying the development of the macro-economic outlook and its influence on capital market outlook for the main developed market economies (G10). The fundamental research effort should include the growth outlook, inflationary pressures and its impact on a country’s monetary policy. Analyze the economic imbalances and assess the risk to the economic outlook and financial market structure of each country. The research should be thorough and the conclusions should be actionable in our various portfolios. The analysis should be written, well documented and supported by sound economic rationale. This role contributes to the effectiveness of our fundamental research platform by monitoring economic and financial market changes, researching major investment themes and assessing their influence on capital market performance and communicating effectively internally and externally to demonstrate the depth and breadth of our capabilities.
At CIBC we enable the work environment most optimal for you to thrive in your role. Details on your work arrangement (proportion of on-site and remote work) will be discussed at the time of your interview.
How You’ll Succeed
- Helps the V-P Asset Allocation to plan quarterly forecast meetings including determining the investment themes and the elaboration of global economic scenarios to research.
- Writes quarterly forecast focused on the G10 economies supporting the elaboration of the firm’s quarterly forecasts and actively participate in the presentation of those quarterly forecasts.
- Review and enhance our long term capital market forecasts and update them twice a year. Provide supporting material behind the forecast and prepare commentaries supporting any material changes in the forecasts.
- Helps in the investment writing of various monthly and quarterly commentaries to support various products (Perspective document, monthly currency reports, etc.)
- Actively contributes in the weekly and quarterly Macro and Financial Market Research meetings as input to the multi-asset and currency strategies. Special insights and contribution should come from analysis of the economic outlook and forecasting of movements the major G10 economies.
- Monitor world economic developments through the development of signposts, analyze their impact on existing strategies and formally communicate their conclusions to the rest of the team.
- Supports the internal sales forces (retail and institutional) in all business units and participate in some servicing and marketing initiatives.
- In the course of performing there duties, the incumbent will interact with different groups within the firm: Within the broad Multi-Asset and Currency Team, the incumbent must develop constructive working relationship to share their views on their area of expertise (G10 economies and capital market impact) and be able to consider different points of views and new considerations. Build effective working relationships across groups to share our main views on G10 economies and capital markets and discuss the potential impact on their respective asset classes or sectors. Develop great communication skills to support the retail marketing efforts to convey and adapt our messages to different audiences. Provide support to write ad-hoc pieces on special market events, review monthly commentaries. Provide support to the institutional marketing and client servicing group for monthly and quarterly written comments, particular client events and participations to conferences.
- Compliance requirements: As an employee of CIBC, the incumbent must comply with all applicable CIBC and Line of Business policies, standards, guidelines and controls. They must also be registrable to the various securities commissions across Canada.
- Authorities/decision rights: As a key contributor to the Multi-Asset Team, this job has the authority to recommend changes to the investment and research processes in order to enhance our investment results.
Required Skill / Experience
Who You Are
- You’re a certified professional. Master’s degree in Economics, International Finance or related field. CFA designation (or on way to completion) is an asset
- You can demonstrate experience. Three to five years of experience in performing macro economic analysis preferably in the context of financial markets
- Leveraging technology. Technologically literate and familiar with research/modeling quantitative software (E-views, Python, Matlab, Bloomberg, Datastream)
- You understand that success is in the details. You notice things that others don't. Your critical thinking skills help to inform your decision making. Problem solving ability and good judgment.
- Relationship building. Good communication skills to make presentations to various audiences. Mature, with good interpersonal skills to perform in a teamwork environment
- You’re goal oriented. Initiative, sense of responsibility and organizational skills. Capacity to meet deadlines and to work under pressure.
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.