At OPTrust, paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow is our mission and business.
When you choose OPTrust, you join a team of smart, talented people who fuel our success and have a passion for pensions. Everyone at OPTrust – from London, Toronto, and Sydney – makes a meaningful impact, our environment is fast paced, but we find time to have fun and give back to the community as well. Our strength resides in our team members with different backgrounds and perspectives creating an inclusive and fulfilling place to work for everyone.
Quantitative Investment Analyst
Department: Total Fund Completion Portfolio Strategies – Capital Markets
What OPTrust Offers You
- Unique culture rooted in our core values – collaboration and teamwork, integrity, respect, flexibility, and excellence and continuous improvement – reflected across the team.
- Dedicated business strategy for inclusion, diversity and equity with multiple, meaningful opportunities to participate.
- Flexible, hybrid work model being implemented to balance the benefits of working from home and the collaborative teamwork experience in the office.
- Membership in our world-class defined benefit pension plan.
- A purpose-driven environment, including the opportunity to contribute to OPTrust’s climate change and responsible investing programs.
- Professional development opportunities and learning initiatives including access to LinkedIn Learning, in-house speaker series, tuition reimbursement program and professional association memberships.
- Comprehensive benefits package focused on your health and wellness, including dental, vision and extended health benefits.
- Opportunity to take parental and adoptions leaves to spend time with family.
- Competitive vacation package and time away from work such as work-life balance days.
About the Role
This position offers an exceptional opportunity for a person with a mindset for learning and continuous improvement to make a significant impact within a systematic investment team. As part of the Capital Markets Group, our team develops and executes quantitative strategies across all asset classes to optimize the Total Fund portfolio. The successful candidate will employ a wide range of quantitative skills and financial expertise to spearhead innovative investment research and ongoing enhancements to our total fund portfolios. Working at OPTrust you will gain work experience, in a supportive, collaborative, and innovative work culture, complete with approachable senior leaders, to cultivate multi-dimensional career growth. You will obtain hands-on experience in developing systematic investment strategies across a diverse range of asset classes, guided by the mentorship of experienced professionals, and set the groundwork for a successful investment career. You will also gain access to exclusive market insights from our external partners, including leading asset managers and globally renowned hedge funds, and grow in an environment conducive to accelerated learning.
What You’ll Do
- Actively contribute to the full research cycle, including idea generation, model development, stakeholder collaboration, and model implementation, with the aim to address the challenges of the total fund portfolio.
- Contribute to the R&D of investment infrastructure in combination with alternative data and advanced analytical techniques, to advance decision-making in areas such as capital allocation, alpha generation, and total fund tail risk mitigation.
- Maintain and continuously enhance daily production workflows through proactive problem-solving.
- Support team in ad-hoc tasks such as data visualization, performance monitoring, and market analysis.
Required Skill / Experience
What You Bring
- 1-2 years of experience in quantitative finance, computer engineering, or data science (including co-op/internships).
- Broad knowledge of various financial instruments and some experience in capital markets or investment management.
- Demonstrated success in delivering practical solutions to solve problems in financial markets or social science fields.
- Proficiency in Python, object-oriented programming, data structures, and algorithms.
- A team player with effective communication and time management skills who enjoys working collaboratively with others to achieve common goals.
- Passion – as evidenced by a strong motivation to apply quantitative skills to investment challenges, and the determination and persistence to drive positive outcomes.
- Detail oriented – demonstrated through getting the details right and having a good-to-great mindset.
Preferred Technical Qualifications:
- Working towards the completion of CFA, FRM, or CAIA certifications.
- Experience with machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as Deep Learning, Bayesian statistics, Natural Language Processing and Reinforcement Learning.
- Familiarity with data visualization tools such as PowerBI and cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure.
Serving a membership as diverse as ours and investing in a global market means cultivating an environment that embraces inclusion, diversity and equity in everything we do. We know a diversity of backgrounds, cultures and perspectives are critical to creating long-term value. OPTrust is an organization engaged in building on our unique and diverse strengths. If you require an accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, or have preferred pronouns, please send a message to [email protected], or discuss your needs with the Recruitment Consultant during the telephone screen. We will do our best to work with you and provide appropriate accommodation.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.