Why you’ll love working here:
- high-performance, people-focused culture
- our commitment that equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our work environment and business success, which helps employees feel valued and empowered to be their authentic selves
- learning and development initiatives, including workshops, Speaker Series events and access to LinkedIn Learning, that support employees’ career growth
- membership in HOOPP’s world class defined benefit pension plan, which can serve as an important part of your retirement security
- competitive, 100% company-paid extended health and dental benefits for permanent employees, including coverage supporting our team's diversity and mental health (e.g., gender affirmation, fertility and drug treatment, psychological support benefits of $2,500 per year, and newly extended maternity/parental leave top of 26 weeks)
- optional post-retirement health and dental benefits subsidized at 50%
- yoga classes, meditation workshops, nutritional consultations, and wellness seminars
- access to an annual wellness reimbursement program for health and wellness-related expenses for permanent and temporary employees
- the opportunity to make a difference and help take care of those who care for us, by providing a financially secure retirement for Ontario healthcare workers
Reporting to the Senior Director, Real Estate Portfolio Management and Strategic Initiatives, the Principal, Real Estate Sustainable Investing will play a key role in the implementation and ongoing evolution of the HOOPP Real Estate Sustainable Investing program and integrating ESG factors into asset management. In this role, you will lead initiatives and act as a subject matter expert with teams across the Real Estate group, as well as with external management partners. You will bring a strong foundation of sustainable real estate investing and asset management experience and a passion to contribute to the continued advancement of Sustainable Investing at HOOPP.
What you will do:
- Lead key work streams and the implementation of our Real Estate climate change strategy, net-zero portfolio plan, and physical- and transition-risk mitigation. Work with the RE team and external managers to ensure the RE portfolio achieves the 2030 50% GHG reduction target in a way that promotes strong risk-adjusted returns for our members
- Act as a subject matter expert in advising the Real Estate team on leading sustainable investing and asset management practices and help foster ESG innovation across the asset class and providing implementation support to asset class teams
- Contribute to the ongoing enhancement of HOOPP Real Estate’s sustainable investing approach and strategy
- Design and update Real Estate sustainable investing guidelines and policies, on topics such as new developments, indirect fund engagement, and RE’s overall sustainability policy, and ensure compliance with internal HOOPP Sustainable Investing policies/guidelines
- Lead research, analysis, and the development of thought leadership pieces and best practices within and outside of the portfolio on ESG factors related to real estate investment and asset management strategies, emerging risks, and macro trends
- Lead Real Estate’s ESG communication, engagement and stewardship activities including: onboarding new managers into the Real Estate sustainability program; leading HOOPP’s annual LEAP Awards and Conference; chairing 3rd party manager Sustainability Committee; co-ordinating annual submissions to sustainable investing standards/benchmarks (e.g. PRI); overseeing the preparation of HOOPP’s annual sustainability report.
- Oversee the placement of appropriate insurance coverage for HOOPP’s real estate portfolio and work with 3rd party managers to reduce insurance-related risks
- Develop and oversee Real Estate’s ESG data strategy and manage external ESG data vendors. Work with HOOPP Sustainable Investing and external consultants to accurately measure Real Estate’s ESG impact ensuring the Real Estate team is provided with information that is accurate, timely and useful
- Support board and executive-level deliverables, presentations, and reporting as required
Established in 1960, the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) is a multi-employer defined benefit pension plan for Ontario's hospital and community-based healthcare sector. We serve more than 435,000 members who provide valued healthcare services at more than 630 employers across the province. At HOOPP, we exist to provide a stable and reliable pension for our members that starts in retirement and is paid for life. As one of Canada's largest and most respected pension plans, HOOPP's net assets reached $103.7 billion at the end of 2022 and our funded status remained strong and stable at 117%.
HOOPP's core values - professional, accountable, collaborative, compassionate and trustworthy - guide our every interaction with our members, employers and employees. We've become one of Canada's leading pension plans by consistently challenging ourselves and embracing innovation.
From our unique investment management approach to our innovative technology and thought-provoking research, we constantly seek to push the boundaries, and we do this by hiring passionate, forward-thinking people.
Our high-performance culture is founded on collaboration, respect and belonging. HOOPP is an equal opportunity employer and we're proud of our diversity. We select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications. Should you require accommodation because of a disability during the recruitment and selection process, please contact our Human Resources team at [email protected]. We will be happy to consult with you so that arrangements can be made for reasonable accommodation.
Required Skill / Experience
What you bring:
- 10+ years professional experience in real estate sustainable investing, programs and/or buildings
- Advanced degree(s) in Business, Finance, Engineering, Environmental Science, or other relevant area preferred
- Deep expertise in decarbonizing a real estate portfolio and assessing various approaches, financing strategies and impacts to a building’s financial performance
- Deep expertise in ESG integration and stewardship approaches across real estate
- Leading edge understanding of the real estate sustainable investing and asset management landscape and emerging ESG concepts
- Strategic thinker who can translate the big picture into effective implementation
- Demonstrated ability to foster strong relationships with internal and external partners to bring people on board and create change
- Track record of using critical thinking to address complex problems and develop pragmatic solutions
- Strong drive for excellence and commitment to continual improvement
- Enthusiasm for building new things, comfort with ambiguity, and entrepreneurial mindset
- Proven ability to successfully advance multiple projects simultaneously and deliver exceptional, high-quality results
- Strong team orientation and focus on achieving overall team objectives
- Clear and confident oral and written communicator who can effectively work with all levels, including senior leadership
- Commitment to constructive feedback and continual learning
- Alignment with HOOPP’s core values: professional, trustworthy, compassionate, accountable and collaborative