We are looking for a Principal to join our growing Credit team. Your core responsibility will be running a fundamentally focused credit portfolio across public markets in Investment Grade, High Yield, and Leveraged Loans, focused on delivering value-add over a credit benchmark return.
Who you’ll work with
The OTPP Credit team is a group of over thirty investment professionals who invest across the full spectrum of credit products, employing a wide variety of investment styles, including: deep-dive fundamental analysis (public and private), structured credit, quantitative strategies, thematic investing, and enhanced indexing, as well as fund investments.
Reporting to a Director, Public Fundamentals, you will work within a team focused on building high conviction single name and sector concentrations across the credit universe. The Principal role will have the ability to deploy risk, within delineated risk budgets and constraints, through developing sector expertise and financial modeling.
As a member of our dynamic trading floor environment, you will be exposed to the different strategies and risk-taking styles within the broader Capital Markets group through regular interactions. Based on our team’s broad directive, you will also collaborate with other members of the OTPP investment teams, in both Toronto and globally.
What you’ll do
Your primary focus will be to manage a portfolio within the public credit space, for the purpose of value-add creation over a credit benchmark return. This will involve deep fundamental credit analysis at the company and sector level.
- Independently evaluate new investment opportunities for value-add potential and manage a portfolio of active investments.
- Lead a sector focus (e.g., Healthcare, Energy, Financials, etc.), being responsible for bringing corporate opportunities and updating the team on developments within the sector.
- Single name credit and industry analysis on a global scale, through financial modelling, and financial statement analysis.
- Collaborate within the Credit team, sharing single name, sector and market views across different strategies to enhance overall Credit team performance.
- Work with internal Investments teams, sell side parties and external relationships to facilitate credit research and idea generation.
- Promote and model Teachers’ 3.0 values: Inclusive, Performance-driven, Curious, Agile, and Courageous. Contribute to a high-performance, collaborative and team-oriented work environment.
- Provide coaching to junior team members.
What we’re offering
- Pay-for-performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentive
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage
- Retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- The opportunity to invest back into the fund through our Deferred Incentive Program
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- Competitive time off
- Our Flexible Travel Program gives you the option to work abroad in another region/country for up to a month each year
- Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers'.
Required Skill / Experience
5+ years of experience, with a focus on value-add credit investing, and a track record of risk taking being a positive asset.
Strong academic background, with a financial designation (i.e., MBA, CFA, CBV or CA designation a plus).
Strong analytical and quantitative skills to perform in-depth, innovative and critical credit analysis.
A deep understanding of fundamental credit investment analysis, with solid financial modelling and valuation skills.
Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
Awareness of macroeconomics developments and implications to the Credit markets.
High standard of work ethic and integrity.
High commitment to be a team player, with a genuine collaborative spirit.
Ability to balance priorities, work independently and lead projects.