Founded in 1980, Foyston, Gordon & Payne Inc. (FGP) manages approximately $7 billion for institutional clients (public and corporate pension funds, foundations, endowments, multifamily offices, etc.), financial institutions, including insurance companies, and high-net-worth clients. We believe that superior investment returns are achieved by taking a long-term, bottom-up, value-oriented approach to investments based on detailed fundamental research and analysis. While our firm is supported by an equity interest from Affiliated Managers Group, Inc. (AMG), FGP remains a completely autonomous business. In fact, a large portion of the firm is owned by its employees, firmly aligning our interests with those of our clients.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Head of Distribution, the Principal, Client Relationship and Business Development Manager, will be responsible for managing relationships with our institutional clients and developing and maintaining relationships with institutional investors and investment consultants. The position is based in Toronto. The primary responsibilities of the role include:
- Providing exceptional client service to our existing institutional clients, ensuring that their needs are met or exceeded through regular contact and portfolio reviews.
- Developing and maintaining deep and ongoing relationships with prospects and consultants.
- Collaborating effectively with other internal partners, including portfolio managers, client service managers, marketing, and compliance colleagues.
- Actively seeking out networking opportunities and representing FGP at industry events, where appropriate.
- Utilizing a CRM system to record activity, manage prospects and clients, preserve progress, and aid in reporting and communication to management and peers.
The position of Principal, Client Relationship and Business Development Manager at FGP offers:
- An opportunity to join and meaningfully contribute to a collaborative, high-achieving team.
- Coaching and mentorship from experienced professionals who are committed to your career development.
- Competitive compensation and benefits.
- A hybrid work environment with work-from-home and in-office flexibility for the foreseeable future.
Required Skill / Experience
The ideal candidate should have:
- 8+ years of experience in the investment industry, preferably in an institutional client relationship management, business development, or consultant relations role.
- Outstanding relationship builder; significant experience in developing and managing relationships with prospects, clients, decision makers, influencers, and consultants.
- Strong knowledge of the investment industry and ability to effectively communicate FGP's investment strategies and market views.
- Unquestionable integrity and ethical character.
- A high level of credibility within the client and consultant community.
- Excellent verbal and written skills. French will be considered an asset.
- A CFA designation or MBA/Master's degree will be considered an asset.