HOOPP Capital Partners (“HCP”)
Representing 16% of HOOPP’s overall plan value, Private Capital investments are expected to double in line with the Plan’s growth. At present, the vast majority of the portfolio is invested in western markets with North America representing over 60% of the portfolio. The mandate for growth both inside and outside of existing markets will allow for multiple options and strategies.
Today, each member of the team is involved in making direct investments and fund investments. HCP’s direct investments represent approximately 40% of the portfolio and include partnerships with leading companies such as Chobani and Champion Pet Foods. HCP’s ability to invest across industries in different parts of the capital structure allows the team to dynamically pursue the most attractive risk-return opportunities.
Led by strong returns, the HCP portfolio more than doubled over the last 5 years and consequently played a significant role in generating value-add for HOOPP. With HOOPP’s plan (“Plan”) assets projected to double in the next 10 years, HCP will continue to play a crucial role in the delivery of stable and reliable returns for healthcare workers who rely on HOOPP’s pension promise.
Key Responsibilities, Specific responsibilities include:
HCP Investment Process
- Assess opportunities in the pipeline (i.e., pass or proceed).
- Develop work plans and manage the key elements of the investment process.
- HCP is a lean team, so this also involves individually executing key work streams.
- Develop relationships and work with target companies.
- Manage various third parties including consultants, lawyers, accountants, and co-investors.
- Provide support to partners in structuring and negotiating investments.
- Play a major role in executing legal documentation for investments.
- Review and assist in the preparation of investment committee materials.
- Enhance the learning and development of Analysts and Associates.
- Investigate areas of value add for portfolio companies.
- Work with management teams to solve problems and find opportunities.
- Stay connected with fund partners that are relevant to sector coverage.
- Evaluate sell/hold decisions.
- At HCP, we are constantly looking to improve our investment strategy and to innovate as the industry changes - we expect our Principals to contribute to these initiatives.
- Research and evaluate various industry sectors.
- Create and investigate new investment structures.
Required Skill / Experience
- 5+ years of experience in private investing (or similar field) with significant responsibility for managing deal processes.
- University undergraduate degree.
- Professional financial or other post-graduate designations(s) (e.g., MBA, CFA, CA) is an asset.
- Proven ability to conduct detailed financial and operating analysis.
- Strong financial modelling skills.
- High integrity and professionalism.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.