Vancity is a globally recognized, purpose-driven credit union committed to transforming the economy by placing people and planet at the core. As a values-based financial co-operative, Vancity sees itself, its 2700+ staff, and its 560,000 members as a financial force for change, working together for a fair and clean world.Founded in 1946, Vancouver City Savings Credit Union, known simply as Vancity, is Canada's largest community credit union, with $33.2 billion in assets plus assets under administration.
Its offices and 54 branches are in Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley, Victoria, Squamish and Alert Bay, within the unceded territories of the Coast Salish and Kwakwaka’wakw peoples. Vancity is the largest private sector Living Wage Employer in Canada and has been consistently recognized as one of the Top Employers in Canada. Vancity’s vision is transformational—both organizationally and systemically.
With the recent departure of its President & Chief Executive Officer, there now exists an opportunity for a new President & CEO to build on the cooperative’s tremendous legacy, and lead the organization in realizing its bold vision.
- Reporting to the Board of Directors, the President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) works collaboratively with the board and management to create and execute on a values-led, vision-driven strategy that both enhances growth and ensures a sustainable future.
- The President & CEO is accountable for the overall leadership, strategic direction, and business results of the organization in the credit union, and in its subsidiaries:
- Vancity Investment Management and Vancity Community Investment Bank. Critically, the President & CEO is accountable for ensuring Vancity’s continued digital and technological evolution.
- The President & CEO has a responsibility that goes far beyond the bottom line:
- Vancity’s President & CEO ensures the broadest possible impact, using their legacy and strategy to lead solutioning on issues as varied as the climate emergency, affordable housing,
- Reconciliation and diversity, equity, inclusion and racial justice.
- The President & CEO is also accountable for positioning Vancity as a leader in the broader credit union and co-operative community, not just in BC but across Canada and internationally as well.
- The new President & CEO will challenge status quo thinking and push the boundaries of what is possible while instilling trust and confidence to engage others in a different kind of conversation.
- The President & CEO recognizes the major shifts occurring in the financial sector and will reshape and build a thriving future for Vancity and its stakeholders by enhancing the member experience, expanding and mobilizing membership in service of their shared vision, leveraging technology, further developing diversity and talent, and by creating a high performing, data-driven and efficient organization.
- The ideal candidate is a values-based and high performing CEO, COO or senior executive whose experience in the financial services, a financial-adjacent, or another highly regulated or related sector, has involved building, scaling, and leading major growth and transformation.
- As President & CEO of a large, digitally transforming business, the ideal candidate brings strong experience in overseeing results-driven technology innovation.
- The President & CEO will be a leader recognized for their ability to engage and mobilize others. Experience that includes working with purpose driven, member focused, and/or transforming organizations is highly preferred. A strong commitment to credit unions, Reconciliation, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, along with the values of the cooperative movement is required.
- As President & CEO of a purpose-driven financial organizations that “punches well above its weight” globally, the ideal candidate brings the intellect to foster prescient change as well as advanced interpersonal skills to galvanize members and staff.
Vancity’s head office is situated on the territory of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations in Vancouver, British Columbia. This is a rare opportunity for an innovative, purpose-driven executive to lead the one of the most prominent, values-based and high-profile financial organizations in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Please note that we will only be in contact with those individuals moving forward with our client.