At IMCO, our talent is among the best! IMCO offers a uniquely stimulating and rewarding environment where you can help build and drive organizational transformation, all while seeking to challenge yourself, learn, and grow your career.
We offer a culture of collaboration and passion, creating unwavering value for the clients we serve. Our vision is to be the partner of choice for Ontario’s public sector funds and build a high-performing, value-based Asset Management firm in the heart of downtown Toronto.
If you are ready to drive best-in-class service, and join a collaborative, motivated, and fun team of professionals, we’re ready to offer you a great place to work with exciting opportunities for growth and development.
If you want to use your expertise to drive strategic business outcomes, then we want you at IMCO!
IMCO is looking for a highly motivated Portfolio Manager to join our team!
Reporting to the Managing Director, Fundamental Equities, the Portfolio Manager, Fundamental Equities will be responsible for sourcing and leading the evaluation of potential investments and to make investment recommendations in collaboration with the rest of the Senior team members. This includes industry overviews, written investment rationales and due diligence reviews. Primary emphasis will be placed on supporting the management of significant, concentrated investments in listed companies. Further priorities of this role will be assisting with the development and mentorship of growing the direct investments team, supporting other investment strategies within Public Equities as well as the build-out of key infrastructure elements for our expanding platform.
As a Member of Our Team, You Will be Responsible For:
- Supporting the on-going development, implementation, and execution of the Fundamental Equity global strategy within Public Equities.
- Sourcing, researching, recommending, and managing global investment opportunities in public markets.
- Leading and supporting the underwriting process for new opportunities, including (i) detailed financial and business modelling; (ii) preparing detailed diligence of investment opportunities; (iii) preparing investment memos; and (iii) collaboration with other team members on investment research.
- Supporting the management of the Fundamental Equity portion of the Public Equities portfolio relative to key benchmarks with a high attention to detail.
- Working and collaborating on proposals to enhance risk-adjusted performance of the overall portfolio considering all aspects of portfolio management to ensure effective management of costs, risks and returns.
- Supporting the team’s efforts to execute the strategy, and providing day-to-day direction, guidance and mentoring to junior staff.
- Collaborating with Finance, Investment Operations & Accounting, and other Investment professionals, on issues related to financial accounting and reporting of IMCO’s Public Equities investments.
- Supporting the build out of investment performance commentaries for internal and external distribution, including monthly or quarterly meetings and Investment Committee meetings, as well as annual corporate financial reporting.
Required Skill / Experience
What do you need to succeed?
- A minimum of 8-10 years of relevant Public Equities investment industry experience, ideally with at least 5 years of “buy-side” experience working as a member of a global institutional investment team.
- Undergraduate degree in Finance, Business or a related field is required. A graduate degree (e.g., MBA) and/or a professional designation (e.g., CFA, AACI) is a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of Public Equities markets; transactional experience, ideally with experience executing structured, illiquid and/or negotiated public markets investments is a plus.
- Familiarity with sustainability practices in Public Equities would be considered an asset.
- Familiarity with portfolio hedging, benchmark development and monitoring an asset.
- Understanding of risk management principles and practices.
- Excellent quantitative, analytical, financial modelling, problem solving and organizational skills
- Self-starting and ability to identify and analyze complex investment opportunities.
- The ability to apply independent, objective judgment to complex situations, and to embrace (and deliver) diverse thoughts as a member of a team.
- Strong written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills required to exchange complex information and to present information, as well to build key working relationships.
- Ability to cultivate partnerships and work collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external resources.
- Commitment to develop, train and mentor junior staff.
- Advanced knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications required.
What IMCO Can Offer You:
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, to deliver an unparalleled employee experience and to work as one team to continuously improve the management of broader public-sector investment funds. In addition to offering a competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package, we pride ourselves on helping you reach your potential, making a difference in our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our hybrid work model offers flexibility and provides our employees with the opportunity to lead a well-balanced life. Our Corporation’s offices located at 16 York Street, Suite 2400, Toronto, ON M5J 0E6 provide a welcoming space for employees to gather, work collaboratively, and grow together.
IMCO is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities in its recruitment process. Please advise IMCO if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to meet your needs. Candidates being considered for this position will be required to submit to a background screening.