Our Equities team is hiring a Managing Director in Private Capital. By joining the team, you will be working with private equity investment professionals with deep sector and regional expertise. You will play a key role in sourcing, leading and managing direct investments and talent within the Financial Services sector.
Who you'll work with
Reporting to the Senior Managing Director, Head of the Financial Services Group, you will lead deal teams comprising Analysts, Associates and Principals, and Directors supported by third party consultants, legal and accounting professionals dedicated to each particular investment.
The Financial Services team focuses on platform investments in property and casualty insurance, asset and wealth management, consumer finance, commercial finance, financial technology and services businesses.
In certain instances, the Managing Director may also work with colleagues in the London, Singapore, or Hong Kong offices in evaluating international investment opportunities in a given sector.
What you'll do
- Take on an immediate board role on a number of our existing portfolio companies
- Play an active role in identifying target investments and creating a “right to win”, which should include unique value creation levers.
- Uncover new opportunities by leveraging relationships with consultants, operating executives, and fund partners, attending conferences and trade shows, networking with management teams and meeting with various industry participants to uncover new opportunities.
- Lead the team in the evaluation of new investments determining whether the company represents an attractive investment opportunity. This evaluation includes: conducting industry and company due diligence, creating sophisticated financial models, arranging debt financing, negotiating legal documentation and preparing written recommendations.
- Serve on the board of directors and remain actively involved with the portfolio company once a transaction has been onboarded.
- Partner with the business leaders to implement value-enhancing initiatives and collaborate with management on various initiatives including strategy, value creation projects, mergers and acquisitions, debt re-financings, and strategic projects.
What we’re offering
- Pay-for-performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentive
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage
- Retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- The opportunity to invest back into the fund through our Deferred Incentive Program
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- Competitive time off
- Our Flexible Travel Program gives you the option to work abroad in another region/country for up to a month each year
- Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers'.
Required Skill / Experience
- 15+ years meaningful work experience, with ideally the most recent experience being in leading private equity deals in financial services.
- Active M&A in a lead role in corporate development would also be considered if supplemented by previous experiences in management consulting, or investment banking.
- Experience in playing a leading role in the investment process, including conducting due diligence, leading multiple diligence streams such as financial, operational, legal, tax, insurance as well as arranging debt financing and negotiating documentation
- Experience serving on Boards of Directors
- Strong academic background, with a financial designation (i.e. MBA, CFA CBV or CA designation a plus)
- Very strong analytical and quantitative skills to perform in-depth, innovative, critical analysis
- A deep understanding of fundamental investment analysis
- Strong negotiating skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build constructive relationships with internal and external parties (particularly management teams)
- Proven ability to develop talent and thrive in a team based culture
- Good communications skills, both oral and written
- An ability to balance priorities, work independently, lead projects and thrive in a high performance team environment
- Willingness and ability to travel across North America and globally, as required