The Manager, Management Reporting & Planning (“MR&P”), will be part of a team responsible for building an outstanding financial planning and management reporting function, maturing quarterly forecast and multi-year enterprise planning processes and methodologies, developing strategic partnerships with cross functional divisional leaders, to assist them with business management and provide management reporting insights that are timely and decision useful.
Who you’ll work with
In this role you will support the Senior Manager (MR&P) and Director, MR&P and Investor Relations, and will frequently interact with Managing Director, Financial & Management Reporting (“FMR”) and CFO. You will closely collaborate with peers within MR&P and across Finance to develop insight and analysis and produce management reporting & effectively implement planning processes. You will act as a critical finance partner to functional divisions (Enterprise Operations, People & Culture, Corporate Affairs etc.) and operating divisional partners (Investments, Member Services) such as cost centre managers and department leaders.
What you’ll do
Financial Planning & Analysis:
- Prepare base quarterly forecasts and annual/3-year plan for assigned division(s), support cost centre and department business partner assumption modeling and integration of top-down budgeting guidance with bottom-up cost centre rollup, which includes Workforce Planning, General & Administrative Costs, Investment Related Transaction Costs and External Management Fees and supports Capital Plan and Project Finance.
- Work with the Senior Manager and functional partners to assess expenditure drivers and savings levers for both fixed, variable, discretionary and critical initiative spend. Gather relevant and complete data, drivers and assumptions to develop what-if scenario models and perform multi scenario analysis to support operating and financial decisions.
- Prepare board and executive management recurring and ad-hoc reporting and presentations and applicable material. Support preparation of internal partners (CFO/FMR leadership, divisional departments leaders and cost centre managers) presentations, materials and applicable communications as related to results, forecast and budget and ad-hoc analysis.
- Analyze financial performance of assigned division(s), identifying key drivers of variances and financial implication of business activity changes / assumption revisions and their impact on forecast and annual budget.
- Develop overall “so what, now what” insight, make connections to divisional priorities, KPI’s and other metrics and provide recommendations for budget management and mitigation opportunities.
- Lead financial models to support forecasting, budgeting and reporting to develop insights into cost structures to support prioritization decisions and strategic business decisions.
- Support ongoing peer benchmarking and related analysis to help provide insights, develop top-down guidance and drive business outcomes based on performance / results relative to peers.
- Contribute to maturing the overall enterprise forecasting and budgeting process, including supporting organizational change within the team and functional and operating divisions, bringing in standard methodologies for the forecasting and budgeting processes and effectively handling timelines and expectations.
- Reinforce culture of cost consciousness, cost clarity and cost management.
- Prepare month end financial analysis for assigned division(s), analyzing driver-based variance analysis of actual vs. budget, prior periods, forecast, crafting decision useful insight for cost centre managers and divisional/department leaders.
- Prepare ongoing management reporting including KPIs, performance and other metrics, leveraging relevant data visualization techniques (crafting dashboards, graphical storytelling etc.) to help evaluate overall performance of asset classes, total plan performance and metrics (inclusive of divisional & departmental results and people and non-people cost allocations) and related insights vital for Executive Team members to operate the business effectively and efficiently.
- Understand & handle (where applicable) corporate cost allocation model and analyze impact on results of assigned division(s).
- Work with Sr. Manager and functional partners to enhance internal management reporting, KPI and other performance and operating metrics tracking that connect back to divisional and enterprise priorities.
- Assess opportunities, provide recommendations and implement automation of management reports and self-serve capabilities (through PowerBI or other tools).
- Prepare/contribute to monthly and quarterly executive leadership reporting.
- Provide recommendations to both internal finance and divisional partners based on analysis and interpretation of financial and non-financial results to support decision making.
- Proactively seek to build partnerships and provide advisory role to divisional and department leaders by gaining business understanding and supporting strategy development through predictive analytics, what-if analysis and assessment of reporting requirements needs - inclusive of data source and methodology requirements to support strategic business insight and decision making.
- Support discussions and presentation of monthly/quarterly department and/or divisional financial results reviews with cost centre, department and division leaders (where applicable).
Projects and Operational Improvement
- Actively challenge status quo and continuously assess effectiveness and efficiency of systems, processes and provide recommendations for improvements, automation and re-design as applicable.
- Develop documentation of assigned processes and procedures and critical paths for deliverables.
- Continuously supervise progress against results, provide timely and realistic updates on status & issues, and work with the Senior Manager to effectively prioritize/re-allocate workload to support timely completion of critical recurring & ad-hoc results to partners.
- Manage and improve result timelines, effectively prioritizing, supervising and providing feedback on driven activities and results to ensure MR&P mandate is delivered with exceptional quality and within agreed upon timelines.
- Collaborate with the Senior Manager and team to resolve problems resulting from changes to plans, priorities, processes, schedules. Assess impacts (risks and opportunities) and provide solution recommendations.
- Act as subject matter expert (SME) on system/tooling implementation or other financial or operational projects as applicable, contributing to requirement, future state design, testing and overall timely/cost and effective deployment.
- Drive operational improvement and implementation of organizational change strategies by contributing to overall communication, training, redesign and documentation of process and procedures, both impacting internal MR&P team and cross functional partners.
What we’re offering
- Pay-for-performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentive
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage
- Retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- The opportunity to invest back into the fund through our Deferred Incentive Program
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- Competitive time off
- Our Flexible Travel Program gives you the option to work abroad in another region/country for up to a month each year
- Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers'.
Required Skill / Experience
What you’ll need
6+ years of progressive professional experience in Finance, with emphasis on financial planning, management reporting & analysis, and partner relationship building.
Professional accounting designation (e.g. CPA, CA, CMA, CGA).
Proven experience working in a customer centric environment and thriving in a dynamic high pace performance-based culture.