We are a leading financial services provider committed to making decisions easier and lives better for our customers and colleagues around the world. From our environmental initiatives to our community investments, we lead with values throughout our business. To help us stand out, we help you step up, because when colleagues are healthy, respected and meaningfully challenged, we all thrive. Discover how you can grow your career, make impact and drive real change with our Winning Team today.
Manulife’s Bold Ambition is to be the most digital, customer-centric global company in our industry. Global Wealth & Asset Management (‘GWAM’) segment operate globally in US, Europe, Canada and Asia. GWAM Investment Risk Oversight is a second line of defense function within GWAM Risk that oversees market, liquidity and counterparty risks across the suites of investment products serving Retail, Retirement and Institutional businesses. The invested assets comprised of a broad range of instruments, including public and private fixed income, public and private equities, derivatives and alternative assets such as real estate and infrastructure.
The Manager will be part of a global team of investment risk professionals and reports to the Global Head of Investment Risk Oversight, GWAM. Among other duties, the successful candidate will work closely with the first line of defense functions to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Market/portfolio risk oversight, including developing and/or leveraging risk models and methodologies to identify, measure, monitor and report market risks (in normal and stressed market conditions); independently reviewing and challenging whether portfolio risk-reward profiles are aligned with expectations; reviewing aggregated exposures to identify unforeseen concentration risks.
- Liquidity risk oversight, including measuring, monitoring and reporting the liquidity risk profile of investment products, and highlighting possible redemption and/or capacity constraints (in normal and stressed market conditions); monitoring and reporting aggregated liquidity exposures to support regional-level diagnostics.
- Counterparty risk oversight, developing relevant exposure metrics to measure, monitor and report such exposures from OTC derivatives and security lending.
- Investment risk governance and assessment, including monitoring investment risk profile through relevant Key Risk Indicators, adopting GWAM risk standards and facilitating their implementation; maintaining an appropriate investment risk assessment criteria framework, independently assessing investment risks and present to relevant committees where Risk Management topics are discussed.
Required Skill / Experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Risk Management at an asset management company. Hands-on experience with fund risk and performance reporting on multi-asset strategies and asset-allocation funds.
- Prior experience with third-party risk analytics solutions (e.g. MSCI RiskMetrics and BarraOne, Bloomberg PORT, FactSet); knowledge of liquidity risk and market risk models and methodologies and end-to-end workflow for these solutions considered an asset.
- Flexibility to work outside of regular business hours to ensure investment risk oversight support of GWAM Asia region.
- Prior experience with the regulatory landscape of investment risk management/oversight across various Asian countries.
- Strong analytical skills and detail-oriented couple with strong verbal and written communication skills that bring insights in a concise manner.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, SharePoint).
- A doer with entrepreneurial attitude and passion for innovative work that drives results
- A thinker who can synthesize across key initiatives and resolve execution issues
- Collaborative and transparent working style
- Always keep the customer and strategy in mind when designing a solution
- Strong curiosity and desire to make the complex clear
- Organized, self-directed, efficient and able to manage complex projects
- Work collaboratively with technology, operations and agile teams