We are a leading financial services provider committed to making decisions easier and lives better for our customers and colleagues around the world. From our environmental initiatives to our community investments, we lead with values throughout our business. To help us stand out, we help you step up, because when colleagues are healthy, respected and meaningfully challenged, we all thrive. Discover how you can grow your career, make impact and drive real change with our Winning Team today.
Manulife Private Wealth (“MPW”) delivers discretionary investment counselling services to High-Net-Worth individuals and their families. We believe open architecture investment solutions and a global approach should be an integral part of our clients’ financial planning for the future. For more information, please visit the Manulife Private Wealth website.
The Investment Counsellor is a senior member of a team of private wealth professionals delivering institutional quality investment management, private banking, financial, estate and tax planning services to High Net Worth (“HNW”) individuals and their families, as well as institutions.. As an Investment Counsellor, you will lead the assessment of the client’s personal and investment needs and create an investment policy statement, asset allocation, investment portfolio, and financial plans in partnership with other professionals on the Private Wealth team, such as Financial Planners, Tax & Estate Planners, Private Bankers and the Chief Investment Strategist. You will manage a portfolio of clients, retain and grow the relationships with them through the management of investment portfolios and the ongoing evaluation of performance according to each client’s investment policy statement. Through business development efforts, you will be responsible for driving new sales and work collaboratively across teams to uncover opportunities to refer clients to other parts of Manulife. The Investment Counsellor is supported in these efforts by our team of Private Wealth Consultants who work to identify leads and referral opportunities for the team, both internally and externally.
- Effectively communicate MPW’s investment philosophy and risk management approach to current and prospective clients
- Take an investment consulting approach to discretionary investment management through Client Discovery and Needs Assessment
- Construct client portfolios using Manulife Private Wealth’s global strategic asset allocation and open architecture platform
- Regularly meet with clients to discuss performance, markets and review any changes to their wealth planning goals
- Take a proactive approach to monitor and re-balance portfolios in compliance with the client’s Investment Policy Statement and in accordance with MPW’s practices
- Consult and partner with Chief Investment Strategist on asset allocation and re-balancing of portfolio
- Partner as a senior member of the team with the team of Client Service Associates dedicated to supporting Investment Counsellors and clients to enhance the client service experience
- Ensure client portfolios align with all appropriate compliance policies and procedures
- Support the achievement of business development, revenue, referral, retention, and compliance targets
- Acquire new clients either through professional contacts, centers of influence, MPW Private Wealth Consultants or independent advisors
- Pursue opportunities to grow AUM through increased share of wallet of existing clients with MPW
- Track new client opportunities and additions to existing portfolios through CRM and other systems
- Work collaboratively across sales and Manulife teams to develop and implement a strategic path to success for more complex opportunities
- Find opportunities to refer clients to other parts of Manulife
- Effectively manage expense business development budgets to deliver financial results
Financial Planning and Client Experience
- Collaborate with Private Wealth Financial Planner to create customized plans for clients with a complete and comprehensive lens on the client’s overall wealth
- Work collaboratively with Tax and Estate Planners to discover additional considerations or needs a client may have based on the results of the financial plan
- Perform, together with the Private Wealth Client Service team, sales and service support activities to meet client needs and maintain overall service levels
- Follow through on the risk and compliance processes and policies to ensure we safeguard our clients’ assets, maintain their privacy, act in their best interests, and ensure compliance with regulatory, legal, and ethical requirements
Required Skill / Experience
What are we looking for?
- University degree and 5+ years related investment counselling experience or investment management experience
- Professional qualifications : CFA
- Strong background in both finance and investments
- Licensed as an Advising Representative with Ontario Securities Commission (OSC)
- Proven ability to develop long lasting, trusted relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- A successful track record in business development and closing deals
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Natural propensity towards teamwork and collaboration; proven coachability
- Moderate travel within the region is required
- Investment Counsellors in each of the GTA and Ontario regions
What motivates you?
- Obsessing about customers, listening, engaging and act for their benefit.
- Thinking big, with curiosity to discover ways to use your agile approach and enable business outcomes.
- You thrive in teams and enjoy getting things done together.
- You take ownership and build solutions, focusing on what matters.
- You do what is right, work with integrity and speak up.
- You share your humanity, helping us build a diverse and inclusive work environment for everyone.
Our commitment to you
- Values-first culture
- We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together.
- Boundless opportunity
- We create opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of your career!
- Continuous innovation
- We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services.
- Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- We foster an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives.
- Championing Corporate Citizenship
- We build a business that benefits all stakeholders and has a positive social and environmental impact.