January 2024 - April 2024
The Total Fund Risk team within Risk is responsible for conducting risk analyses on OTPP’s entire portfolio spanning a range of asset classes including Equity, Fixed Income, Credit, Inflation Sensitive, and Real Assets. The team is a key contributor to risk governance and investment planning at the fund and is mandated to four major areas of work: (1) Investment Asset Risk; (2) Funding Liquidity Risk; (3) Portfolio Analytics; and (4) Investment Risk Reporting.
We are looking for a creative and lateral thinker who would be keen to contribute to the group’s efforts towards high quality investment risk analysis to the OTPP Board and the Plan’s C-suite executives. The Co-op Student will be responsible for a variety of reporting, monitoring and analytical activities as well as research and development initiatives that support the strategic objectives of the Total Fund Risk team. This individual will help improve investment risk modeling, analysis, and reporting of the entire OTPP portfolio.
Who you’ll work with
The Risk department consists of 6 functions: Private Assets Advisory, Models and Asset Liability Risk & Fund Insights Risk, Credit & Capital Markets Risks, Total Fund Risk & Analytics, Pension Risk, Enterprise & Operational Risk Management, and Investment Policy. The Total Fund Risk team is responsible for conducting risk analyses on OTPP's entire portfolio spanning a range of asset classes including Equity, Fixed Income, Credit, Inflation Sensitive, and Real Assets. The team is a key contributor to risk governance and investment planning at the fund and is mandated to four major areas of work: (1) Investment Asset Risk; (2) Funding Liquidity Risk; (3) Portfolio Analytics; and (4) Investment Risk Reporting.
What you’ll do
- Assist in the preparation of reports and presentations to senior leaders and the Board of Directors on risk modeling, budgeting and monitoring
- Implement and cater to on-demand requests from Risk and various investment departments across the Fund
- Research initiatives and conduct analyses supporting risk modeling and monitoring processes for the enterprise risk system
- Research and provide risk insights in the context of an evolving macro environment
- Work cross-functionally with other team members and departments to design/ develop/enhance analytics tools for investment decision-making, ensuring continued alignment with OTPP’s Vision, Mission, and Values
What we’re offering
Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development, including lunch and learns
Student led team building events on a monthly basis
Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers'.
Required Skill / Experience
What you’ll need
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate’s degree with a concentration in Computer Science, Finance, or Mathematics. 3rd/4th year students preferred.
- Proficiency in Python, Excel, VBA
- Working knowledge in PL/SQL, Power BI
- Knowledge of and strong interest in financial markets and risk management
- Quantitative and qualitative problem solver
- Proven ability to work independently as well as to perform effectively in a team-oriented environment
- Excellent communication skills, strong interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated, flexible, and adaptable
- You should be returning back to your studies after the work term is completed