The deadline to apply for this role is: September 30, 2023
January 2024 – May 2024
The Intern –Financial Reporting & Internal Control will be responsible for producing and reviewing subsidiary company financial statements spanning multiple jurisdictions. You will also participate in the preparation and analysis of Ontario Teachers' financial statements, and material for the plan’s Audit and Actuarial Committee. You may also contribute to implementing operational improvement projects and initiatives related to financial reporting.
The successful candidate will be required to apply analytical, problem solving, independent thinking, time management, and communication skills.
Who you’ll work with
The Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan has investments in various countries around the world. The Financial Reporting & Internal Control team is responsible for preparing and reviewing OTPP’s consolidated financial statements as well as the financial statements of the plan’s many subsidiary legal entities.
As a Financial Reporting & Internal Control Intern, you will work in the Toronto office reporting to the Senior Manager, Financial Reporting & Internal Control and within a team of six professionals. You will have the opportunity to liaise with multiple stakeholders, including with the Financial Operations, Tax, and Legal teams.
What you’ll do
- Produce and review subsidiary company financial statements spanning multiple jurisdictions.
- Participate in the preparation and analysis of Ontario Teachers' financial statements, and material for the plan’s Audit and Actuarial Committee.
- You may also contribute to implementing operational improvement projects and initiatives related to financial reporting.
- Proactively suggest improvements to any of the reports/processes used by the team.
- Coordinate with group members as required in order to meet deadlines.
What we’re offering
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development, including lunch and learns
- Student led team building events on a monthly basis
- Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers'.
Required Skill / Experience
- Progress towards a relevant university degree (e.g. business degree with accounting focus) with a proven record of academic and extracurricular achievement.
- Interest in / progress towards the CPA designation is desired
- Interest in / progress towards CFA designation a benefit.
- Attention to detail with a strong ability to multi-task while maintaining a high work standard.
- Good priority setting and time management skills.
- Some experience preparing financial statements. Experience preparing financial statements for investment structures is a benefit.
- Excellent use of MS Office products including: Excel – pivot tables, power pivot, other data manipulation tools (e.g. vlookup).
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be enrolled in 3rd/4th year undergraduate studies.
- You should be enrolled in a co-op program or returning back to your studies after the work term is completed.