We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions, so you are empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and are truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What you’ll be doing
Join our Debt Capital Markets team as a Summer Analyst and become part of a team focused on delivering innovative bond financing solutions to CIBC’s clients including corporates and institutions around the world. Our goal remains to be the leading Capital Markets franchise in Canada and to work as one team to build our brand across North America and the world - proudly living our values as we work toward our vision to be the leader in client relationships.
Our Debt Capital Markets business is responsible for the origination of debt securities for corporate and financial issuers in Canada and abroad. We provide regular market commentary on the debt capital markets, identify new issue opportunities, assist borrowers in developing a financing strategy, and execute new debt issues. Bonds are distributed to a broad range of institutional and retail investors domestically and internationally through CIBC’s trading/distribution offices located in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, New York, London, and Tokyo.
As an Analyst within Debt Capital Markets, you will become an integral part of the origination and syndication teams. The role is dynamic and fast-paced, requiring you to effectively process information in the course of executing transactions in a constantly changing market environment. This role provides Analysts with an opportunity to gain applicable experience in the origination and execution of debt offerings, along with an appreciation of how the debt product fits within the suite of Investment Banking offerings. Analysts will need to be effective communicators capable of building relationships both internally and with clients. As an Analyst, you will have the responsibility of providing detailed analytical, financial modeling, structuring, research and transaction support to senior professionals in your business, helping to win business and execute transactions.
At CIBC we enable the work environment most optimal for you to thrive in your role. Details on your work arrangement (proportion of on-site and remote work) will be discussed at the time of your interview.
Required Skill / Experience
- You are enrolled in an undergraduate degree in Commerce, Mathematics, Engineering, or Economics at the time of the internship.
- You are on track to complete your undergrad program no sooner than 2025.
- Applications should include your resume (no more than 2 pages), cover letter (no more than 1 page) and an unofficial transcript all uploaded to the Resume/CV section of the application.
- Please indicate your expected graduation date on your resume
- Location: Toronto. Please note all employees must work within their current jurisdiction and must reside within Canada. All CIBC student positions require you to be based in Canada for the duration of the term
- Duration of Work Term: 4 months (May 2024 – August 2024)
- This job posting closes on March 23rd 2023 11:59PM EST.
How you’ll succeed
- Project management - Your regular responsibilities include drafting of presentation materials, pricings and market updates as well as the production of offering materials and investor presentations
- Relationship building - You will participate in cross-functional teams and liaise with other units of CIBC Capital Markets in executing mandates or preparing proposals for clients. You will work with other members of the origination and syndication teams on execution of bond transactions
- Research and analytics – You will provide a broad range of analytical, research and presentation preparation support to the team.
Who you are
- You have demonstrated interest in Capital Markets – You are highly motivated, accomplished and a success-oriented individual who has a keen interest in pursuing a career in the financial services industry demonstrated through school courses, clubs and/or related work experience.
- You understand success is in the details. You can multi-task with the best of them, constructively push the status quo, and deliver competing project-based and operational demands in a dynamic environment
- You put our clients first. You engage with purpose to find the right solutions. You go the extra mile, because it's the right thing to do.
- You're driven by collective success. You know that collaboration can transform a good idea into a great one. You understand the power of an inclusive team that enjoys working together to bring a shared vision to life.
- You’re digitally savvy. Your analytical skills are top notch and combine them with strong technical and computational skills help complete financial and data analysis
- You practice effective communication. Your verbal and written communication skills are second to none which allow you to be able to explain complex concepts in a meaningful way
- You're driven to succeed. You are motivated by accomplishing your goals and delivering your best to make an impact.
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.
What CIBC offers
At CIBC, our people are our greatest asset. You’ll become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents, and empowers teams to do what’s right for the client, and to do it well. As part of our team, you will:
- Thrive: Benefit from an open and approachable culture that provides the flexibility and support you need to integrate your life at work and at home
- Connect: Work in a place where the right technology and infrastructure fosters innovation, collaboration and creativity
- Develop: Grow your skills and career through our best-in-class onboarding experience, ongoing learning opportunities, individual development planning, and comprehensive product training
What you need to know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation, please contact [email protected]
- You need to be legally eligible to work at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit.