The Director, Sustainable Investing (SI) will help OTPP’s long-term strategy to achieve stable returns, leading SI colleagues to systematically assess and manage environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks and opportunities. This is a fantastic opportunity to take a leadership role in the expansion of OTPP’s sustainable investing program, achieving its climate goals and producing a positive impact through investments. The Director will provide leadership and support to coordinate the Sustainable Investment strategy with an emphasis on integration in the investment lifecycle and Green Bond program.
The Director is a well-rounded sustainable finance professional with a thorough understanding of how ESG may impact investment outcomes, and capable of supporting a range of ESG initiatives across industries and assets classes (public and private markets).
SI is an integral group within total fund management, a department within the Office of CIO that works to create synergies, combining both sides of our balance sheet to effectively and efficiently allocate resources (both capital and risk) across various asset classes and investing departments. With a holistic view of the overall portfolio spanning asset allocation and funding, TFM is able to take a perspective on how plan resources can be effectively utilized to support the investment portfolio. In this vein, Sustainable Investing is an important tool in effecting the investment strategy.
Who you'll work with
- The Director will join one of Canada’s leading Sustainable Investing teams at a time of growth and evolution of our strategy to stay at the forefront of emerging best practice.
- The Director will work with all members of the Sustainable Investing team with an emphasis on leading and mentoring staff focused on our ESG integration and Green Bond programs.
- They will collaborate with colleagues across Total Fund Management department including Portfolio Strategy on top down portfolio considerations and Treasury & Integration on Green Bond issuance. They will also frequently interact with investment teams and portfolio companies, and Finance and Communication on external reporting.
What you'll do
- Build, motivate and develop key talent across Sustainable Investing, including a number of direct reports.
- Manage key relationships externally and internally in support of ESG integration and green bond issuance/reporting
- Direct engagement with all asset classes and regional offices to support integration of ESG risks and opportunities across the investment lifecycle
- This role requires a high level of autonomy, with the ability to originate, and implement new strategies and approaches
- In partnership with Senior Managing Director of Sustainable Investing, provide direction and leadership of OTPP’s ESG integration, Green Bond programs, and other work streams as relevant.
- Build effective partnerships with key colleagues across the fund and the department
What we're offering
- Pay for performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentives
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage
- Retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- The opportunity to invest back into the fund through our Deferred Incentive Program
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- Competitive time off
- Our Flexible Travel Program gives you the option to work abroad in another region/country for up to a month each year
- Discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more.
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We are a globally minded organization and take pride ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create reflect and celebrate diversity of thought, background and experience.
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers'.
Required Skill / Experience
- 10+ years’ progressive work experience in sustainability or management consulting, responsible investing, investment analysis with ESG focus, etc.
- A keen interest in sustainability, impact and climate change issues and an understanding of their implications on companies, boards and investors
- Integrating and measuring financial impacts of material ESG issues, impact and climate change risks and opportunities in company and / or investment analysis and corporate engagement
- Experience leading teams and developing junior talent
- Minimum Bachelor; Masters degree in engineering, finance, environment, climate science or other relevant field an asset
- Completion of the CFA (or underway) would be an asset
- Some domestic and overseas travel may be required