CIBC Capital Markets is a leading provider of M&A advisory, debt and equity financing, corporate banking, trading, hedging and research.
Solid banking partnerships are built over time and require a foundation of trust, understanding and agile support to help you take advantage of market opportunities as they arise. Aligned with our firm-wide promise to empower our clients to achieve their ambitions, we bring the full extent of our capabilities to your goals, as together we innovate new ways to create value.
We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions, so you are empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and are truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What you’ll be doing
Join our Corporate Banking team as a Summer Analyst in this 4 month role and become part of a team focused on delivering innovative banking and investment solutions to CIBC’s retail, wealth and business clients including corporates, governments and institutional clients around the world. Our goal remains to be the leading Capital Markets franchise in Canada and to work as one team to build our brand across North America and the world - proudly living our values as we work toward our vision to be the leader in client relationships.
Corporate Banking is organized into industry coverage and product groups and works in partnership with the Loan Syndications and Structuring group that is responsible for structuring new underwritten and arranged transactions, restructuring existing deals, selling syndicated loans, and advising our clients on market conditions and liquidity. Also forming part of Corporate Banking is the Trading Credit group.
As a Summer Analyst, you will become integral to the “Deal Team”, which includes senior corporate bankers, by providing a broad range of support including financial statement and data analysis, financial modeling, credit analysis, industry research and assisting in the preparation of information memoranda and client pitch books. You will also be actively involved in the credit approval process, documentation and closing of loan transactions and on-going management of the loan portfolio.
Successful candidates will be provided the opportunity to gain experience in two or more areas within Corporate Banking, which are determined based on business needs:
- Financial Institutions & Public Sector;
- Mining & Forestry Products;
- Project Finance, Infrastructure, Power & Utilities;
- Loan Syndications;
- Sustainable Finance;
- Fund Finance &
- Trading Credit
At CIBC we enable the work environment most optimal for you to thrive in your role. Details on your work arrangement (proportion of on-site and remote work) will be discussed at the time of your interview.
How you’ll succeed
- Data analysis – Responsible for conducting in-depth company, industry and portfolio analysis to support the credit relationships for a large and growing portfolio of clients.
- Communication and relationship management - Conduct sound, timely and well-communicated recommendations for credit facilities supported by thorough analysis and well-executed interpretation of relevant financial, industry, business and market information.
- Financial modelling – Run financial models mainly focused on credit analysis and risk rating evaluation.
Who you are
- You have demonstrated interest in Capital Markets – You are highly motivated, accomplished and a success-oriented individual who has a keen interest in pursuing a career in the financial services industry demonstrated through school courses, clubs and/or related work experience.
- You’re digitally savvy. You are proficient in MS-office suite of tools (Word, PowerPoint, Excel). You seek out innovative solutions and embrace evolving technologies. You can easily adapt to new tools and trends.
- You give meaning to data. You enjoy investigating complex problems and making sense of information. You're confident in your ability to communicate detailed information in an impactful way.
- You are organized and work gracefully under pressure. You can juggle multiple tasks and prioritize work to make timely decisions and take appropriate action.
- You're driven by collective success. You know that collaboration can transform a good idea into a great one. You understand the power of an inclusive team that enjoys working together to bring a shared vision to life.
- You understand that success is in the details. You notice things that others don't. Your critical thinking skills help to inform your decision making.
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.
What CIBC offers
At CIBC, your goals are a priority. We start with your strengths and ambitions as an employee and strive to create opportunities to tap into your potential. We aspire to give you a career, rather than just a paycheck.
- Our spaces and technological toolkit will make it simple to bring together great minds to create innovative solutions that make a difference for our clients.
- We cultivate a culture where you can express your ambition through initiatives like Purpose Day; a paid day off dedicated for you to use to invest in your growth and development.
What you need to know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
- You need to be legally eligible to work at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit.
Required Skill / Experience
- You are enrolled in an undergraduate degree in Commerce, Mathematics, Engineering, Economics or related at the time of the internship
- You are on track to complete your undergrad program no sooner than 2025.
- Applications should include your resume (no more than 2 pages), cover letter (no more than 1 page) and an unofficial transcript all uploaded to the Resume/CV section of the application
- Please indicate your expected graduation date on your resume
- Location: Toronto. Please note all employees must work within their current jurisdiction and must reside within Canada. All CIBC student positions require you to be based in Canada for the duration of the term
- Duration of Work Term: 4 months (May 2024 – August 2024)