Scotiabank - Global Banking and Markets
Global Banking and Markets (GBM) is a leading Canadian Capital Markets and Investment Banking business with a growing platform in the US and Latin America, operating globally for over 100 years. Scotiabank’s strong U.S. presence provides our clients an important bridge to this key global market for trade and investment flows across the Americas and the world.
Global Banking & Markets provides a full range of investment banking, credit and risk management products and services relevant to the financing and strategic development needs of our clients. Our products include debt and equity financing, mergers & acquisitions, corporate banking, institutional equity sales, trading and research, fixed income products, derivatives, energy, foreign exchange and precious & metals. We also cross-sell the full range of wholesale products and services offered by the Scotiabank Group.
Be part of an innovative, Global Capital Markets and Investment Banking business with a unique geographic footprint that puts capital to work for our clients across industries! We work together to drive ambition for every future!
The Associate will help CAG contribute to the overall success of Corporate Banking and Global Capital Markets Banking (GCM Banking) by:
- Assisting in the management of a portfolio of accounts, including corporate borrowers and trading counterparties
- Ensuring the highest standards of quality control on rating analysis and portfolio monitoring activities
- Assisting in the provision of proactive and efficient support to the industry groups covered in Corporate Banking and GCM Banking
- Mentoring and coaching Analysts to prepare them for eventual roles in the field
What You’ll Do:
- Assist in daily workflow management including monitoring time-sensitive requests, responding to industry groups’ queries, managing deadline expectations and providing relevant and creative solutions to issues as they arise
- Manage a team of 4 to 5 Analysts and/or Co-op Student Analysts, in the completion of certain credit risk analysis and portfolio management tasks for Corporate Banking and GCM Banking industry groups covered, ensuring timely completion and high quality of work in accordance with Bank policies
- Proactively liaise with industry groups covered to gather feedback and ensure that CAG is providing high quality support
- Manage discussions on ratings with the Banking teams as required, ensuring that all ratings remain replicable and in line with guidance
- Assist in talent recruitment and interviews
- Mentor, coach and assist in the continuous development of a comprehensive training program that ensures the team of CAG Analysts possess sufficient skills and resources necessary to achieve the performance objectives of the department
- Participate in periodic project work supporting CAG as well as broader Corporate Banking initiatives
- Investigate and respond to any questions raised by Audit
- Develop a solid understanding of systems used, and ensure all data requirements and processes are adhered to
- Change Management:
- Carry out preliminary assessment on changes related to the recalibration of risk rating templates and/or other major control processes
- Keep management abreast of potential issues and assist in creating solutions
Required Skill / Experience
What You’ll Bring:
- MBA, Undergraduate Business, or CPA/CFA Designation
- Corporate Banking or Global Risk Management experience is preferred
- Leadership skills to set high performance standards and to take responsibility for achieving team results
- Knowledge of all lending, capital markets and cash management products available in Canada, as well as the processes for the execution of transactions
- Effective communication skills to coach and train analysts, to contribute to the CAG management team, and to interact with internal clients (Corporate Banking and GCM Banking units) and control functions including GRM and Audit
- Exceptional attention to detail, with the ability to multi-task and to prioritize workflow for self and others
- Continuous focus on achieving higher standards, exceeding benchmarks and improving processes
- Ability to apply good judgment, identify critical problems/key risks, and to find workable alternatives and solutions
This position is currently a Hybrid role, with the expectation that you will work three days a week in the office. Please note that this is subject to change based on the needs of the business.
If your experience is closely related but doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we do encourage you to apply - you might be the right candidate for this or other roles at Scotiabank!
At Scotiabank, every employee is empowered to reach their fullest potential, respected for who they are and, embraced for their differences. That’s why we work to grow and diversify talent and engage employees in a performance-oriented culture.
What's in it for you?
Scotiabank wants you to be able to bring your best self to work – and life, every day. With a focus on holistic well-being, our many flexible benefit programs are designed to help support your unique family, financial, physical, mental, and social health needs.