Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investments, you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $350 billion, CPP Investments is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to exceed half a trillion dollars by 2025. CPP Investments invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure, and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, São Paulo, and Sydney.
CPP Investments attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPP Investments’ important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPP Investments.
We are currently recruiting for an Analyst to join the Global Tactical Opportunities team in External Portfolio Management (“EPM”).
The Capital Markets and Factor Investing Department (CMF) invests globally in public equities, fixed income securities, currencies, commodities, and derivatives, and manages the engagement of investment managers and co-investments in public market securities. External Portfolio Management (EPM) is a group within CMF responsible for engaging and monitoring external managers in public markets across all trading styles, asset classes, and geographies. EPM through its Global Tactical Opportunities (“GTO”) team is responsible for leading EPM’s co-investment opportunities globally.
Reporting to the Portfolio Manager, the Analyst plays a key role in making and managing co-investment opportunities globally. The Analyst will be responsible for conducting bottom-up research on new ideas and monitoring the current portfolio of co-investments. As part of the EPM team the Analyst will also play a key role in assessing and monitoring the hedge fund landscape, including reviewing investments being recommended by EPM. The position will be based in Toronto.
A) Assist in the monitoring of co-investment portfolio:
- Work directly with investment professionals on the co-investment team to support the day-to-day monitoring and analysis of existing co-investments (including public company fundamentals, tracking of investment thesis, building robust and flexible tools, managing information, and document flow).
- Capture relevant data and provide an on-going view of performance, exposures, and risks of co-investments while working closely with Portfolio Managers, Portfolio Construction and Risk team, and external partners.
- Contribute to investment research, participate, and document meetings and calls with hedge fund managers and market participants.
- Assist in presenting findings to the EPM team and the Investment Committee, as required.
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders with respect to monitoring investments.
- Actively participate in quarterly reviews for hedge fund portfolio.
B) Analyze new co-Investment opportunities and assist in preparation of investment recommendations:
- Assist Portfolio Managers in organizing and formulating appropriate investment recommendations based on rigorous analysis and research by vetting partners’ investment rationale as well as independent research
- Contribute to the evaluation of co-investment opportunities in fundamental equities and/or macro assets
- Manage industry research around co-investment opportunities within equity and macro-oriented strategies
- Build company models including engagement transformations, M&A and corporate event impacts on financials
- Sensitize models and derive valuations base, upside, and downside cases on corporate securities opportunities
- Assist in modelling both upside and downside outcomes in light of hedging structures
- Collate analyses and draft recommendations for initial and final investment recommendations
- Work with internal teams (tax, legal, finance, and operations) and external teams (counsel, counterparties) to effectively structure, execute and manage investments
- Take part in Investment Committee discussions for hedge fund opportunities being presented in EPM.
Required Skill / Experience
- The ideal candidate will have 1-3 years of experience working in investment banking, consulting, investment management, equity research or other relevant experience
- Undergraduate or Master’s degree in Business, Mathematical Finance, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, or Engineering
- Experienced in driving all aspects of investment due diligence including financial modelling, valuation, legal negotiations, and operational execution
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with internal/external stakeholders while managing multiple competing priorities
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to produce high-quality work product
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), Bloomberg, CapIQ
- Experience in Tableau, Python and other programming languages considered an asset but not necessary
- Passion for investing and a keen interest in capital markets
- Exemplify CPP Investment’s Guiding Principles: Integrity, Partnership and High Performance