HOOPP Capital Partners ("HCP")
Representing approximately 15% of HOOPP’s overall plan value, HCP manages a global portfolio of private equity and private credit investments that is expected to double in size in line with the Plan’s growth over the next 10 years. Approximately two-thirds of HCP’s capital is currently invested in a global portfolio of high-quality private equity and private credit funds, and HCP will continue to grow its exposure to both co-investments and direct investments in the coming years.
HCP’s ability to invest in funds, co-investments and direct investments, as well as its ability to invest across industries and in different parts of the capital structure, allow HCP to dynamically pursue the most attractive risk-adjusted returns.
Led by strong historical returns, the HCP portfolio has more than doubled over the last five years and consequently played a significant role in generating value-add for HOOPP. HCP will continue to play a crucial role in the delivery of stable and reliable returns for Ontario’s healthcare workers who rely on HOOPP’s pension promise.
HOOPP is seeking to add a Principal to HCP to focus on private funds and co-investments. In this role, the Principal will be responsible for originating, executing and managing fund commitments and passive co-investments alongside top fund managers. The Principal will play an integral role in implementing and evolving HCP’s strategy to maintain a high performing funds portfolio that will generate outsized returns and drive co-investment deal flow and insights for the rest of the organization. The Principal will also work on select initiatives with teams across the Investment Management division, in addition to HOOPP’s legal, tax, risk and ESG professionals.
As HCP runs lean deal teams, the Principal will be expected to execute all aspects of the investment process, including evaluating investment opportunities, conducting due diligence, negotiating legal terms, presenting at the investment committee, and representing HOOPP on LP Advisory Committees.
The new hire will have a unique opportunity to work with an experienced investment team with a proven track record and significant domain expertise. The Principal will report to a Managing Director responsible for funds and co-investment.
HCP Investment Process
- Assess opportunities in the pipeline (i.e., pass or proceed).
- Develop work plans and manage the key elements of the investment process.
- HCP is a lean team, so this also involves individually executing key work streams as well as managing, mentoring and coaching analyst and associate deal team members.
- Develop relationships and work with fund managers, and external investors.
- Manage various third parties including consultants, lawyers, accountants and co-investors.
- Provide support to Managing Directors in negotiating legal agreements.
- Play a key role in executing legal documentation for investments.
- Communicate analysis of investment opportunities, results and recommendations through verbal and written reports and presentations.
- Review and assist in the preparation of investment committee materials.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of fund portfolios and specific companies to surface co-investment and direct investment opportunities.
- Evolve the HCP funds and co-investment strategy through market research, deal origination, modeling and benchmarking.
- Assist with the development, monitoring, and reporting of diverse portfolio investments, including funds and co-investments.
- Assist with the preparation of reports related to performance, risk, pacing and other ad hoc topics related to the HCP portfolio.
- Represent HOOPP on LP Advisory Committees.
- Work as part of a team to implement best operational and risk management practices.
- Identify opportunities to improve HCP’s investment strategy and to innovate as the industry changes.
- Play a lead role in the recruitment and continued learning and development of Analysts and Associates.
- Collaborate with other HCP team members and other Investment Management teams to deliver strategic projects that advance HOOPP’s long-term priorities.
- Assist with the preparation of whitepapers for new investment strategies such as climate.
Required Skill / Experience
- More than 7 years of experience in private investing (or similar field) with significant responsibility for managing deal processes.
- University undergraduate degree.
- Professional financial or other post-graduate designation(s) (e.g., MBA, CFA, CA) are an asset.
- Proven ability to conduct detailed financial and operating analysis.
- Strong financial modelling skills.
- High integrity and professionalism.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proven self-starter, intellectually curious and persuasive, with interest in working within a very collaborative team environment.