Looking back at 2020
Happy Holidays WCM members! As we wrap up the year, we reflect on our accomplishments despite the challenges we've all faced this year. It is through harnessing our collective power that we are accelerating ED&I in finance. With our sponsors and members we:
- Delivered impactful research and education, including and 30+ firm presentations & speaking engagements
- Accelerated careers of diverse talent through programs like Emerging Leaders, Elevate, and RTBS (to name a few)
- Hosted 2600 professionals at incredible events including hosting Bank of Canada Governor Poloz for a timely Economic Progress Report, Black on Bay in partnership with CAUFP and The Equity Equation with Rotman’s Institute for Gender and the Economy (GATE)
- Recognized those that are paving the way and shaping our industry showcasing 8 Award Recipients,18 Champions of Change, and 73 speakers & panellists at events
- Connected with students drawing over 1400 diverse high school students to SheBiz, launched our professional profiles career portal, held 30+ university events & campus presentations, and onboarded 20 university ambassadors
- welcomed many into our community and united the industry.
Elevate Session 2: Career Mobility and Progress - On December 8th, more than 120 Elevate program participants gathered to hear from a lively and engaging expert panel about their experiences building their careers in the capital markets. Thank you to our outstanding moderator and our amazing panel:
- Ekta Mendhi - CIBC Capital Markets
- Aliyah Mohamed - TD Securities
- Carrie Freeborough - Mackenzie Investments
- Janet Segeren Lopes - Scotiabank Global Banking and Markets
- Melissa Li - CIBC Capital Markets
Mentorship Programs - We are thrilled to have paired 185 professionals with senior mentors, including the AdvanceAbility stream (which pairs protegees with disabilities); and 209 university students with professionals. Thank you to our Toronto Mentorship Co-Chair, Liqiao Zhang. Mentor/protegee introductions were sent out with kick-off events planned for January 2021.
Rotman Case Competition - On December 1st, WCM in partnership with Rotman School of Management, hosted the final round of The Capital Markets Design Sprint. Teams from schools across the country presented to senior level finance professionals from Canada's most prominent financial organizations who selected a team of MBA students from McMaster University as the winners. Thank you to our judges:
- Barry McInerney, President and Chief Executive Officer - Mackenzie Investments
- Mary Ann Mendes, Managing Director & Head of Client Management, Global Markets - BMO Capital Markets
- Julie Cowan, Managing Director & Head, GCM Relationship Management (Canada) - Scotiabank Global Banking and Markets
- Rita Achrekar, Executive in Residence - Global Risk Institute
- Tamara Finch, Executive Managing Director & Global Head of Financial Sponsor - TD Securities
Emerging Leaders: Lunch with Camilla Sutton -The Emerging Leaders recipients had the opportunity to hear from outgoing CEO and President of WCM, Camilla Sutton. Camilla talked to the cohort about her career trajectory, working with mentors, and candidly answered questions from the group.
WCM Member Holiday Mingle - More than 120 WCM Members gathered on December 17, to virtually celebrate the year that was and enjoy some networking and games. While COVID-19 presented many challenges this year, WCM's membership has been just as active and engaged.
See you in 2021!